Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Grocery Shopping - Go Time!!

Grocery shopping here still tends to be a bit stressful. Not overly so and maybe I should say different instead of stressful. Like nearly everything here we just have to learn a new way of going about things.
I'm getting used to the products and can find our staple products quickly and easily.  I now know which stores have the best bread and rolls, the best cream cheese and dairy products, the best produce and which ones are cheaper than others.  When I need something out of the ordinary for a recipe I still have to google it and try to pronounce it which normally goes horribly bad and then I have to show the store worker my phone and then inevitably they point out that my phone is cracked.  Thankfully, Marty and I normally do the shopping together after school drop off.
What is noticeably different and a is a bit stressful is checking out, paying and bagging your groceries.
First off, the store checkers sit down at their register they don't stand like they do in Seattle.  They normally have a very grumpy look about them even when I warmly smile and say "hallo" Or "Guten morgen" sometimes they smile back by mostly they just look at my like I'm a bit crazy. They then start scanning your products much like in the US but there is only a teeny tiny area past them where they start shoving the items once they are checked.  I get it that most people shop for just a few things every day and don't load up but honestly some of the area past the checker is so small I couldn't fit everything for my family of 4 for one day.  So I tend to get a bit nervous as we are approaching the checker.  I've realized that they aren't so fast to pay like we are.  At least that was what I always felt rushed to do in Seattle but they definitely rush to get their groceries off that little storing area before the next customers items start flying toward you.  And the checkers DO NOT wait for you to get your groceries out of that area they just starting flinging the new customers stuff toward you and the next customers huffs and puffs and starts literally breathing down your neck.  The whole person space bubble here is SO small and they are space invaders of the worst degree.
We have pretty much learned the system.  IF you get a shopping cart - which we rarely do, you turn your cart around so the end (opposite of end where you push) is pointing toward the teeny area where you groceries will be pushed. 
Once they have been scanned you IMMEDIATELY start putting them back in your cart, in no particular order as this would take too long, then you push your cart over to this little shelf and THEN put them in an organized manner in your grocery trolley or in your bags or backpack.
We typically just fill up Marty's back pack and I have a lightweight fabric shopping bag that I keep in my purse (Thanks, Dawna :-) ) but like the shopping cart as soon as they items are scanned we start stuffing them into our bags.  Once they are 95% packed THEN we pay.  Once you pay you are really meant to be gone.
So...Trust me, no one bags your groceries here and NO ONE asks if you would like help out.  It is going to seem so luxurious when we grocery shop back in Seattle again.

No comments: